Re: [yast-devel] Webyast base system model proposal
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:50:30 +0200
On 08/18/2009 01:55 PM, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
* Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> [Aug 18. 2009 12:35]:

Yes, it is similar how I implemented it now except, that it remember
done steps in backend and not session, so if you configure two modules
and another three remain, then you can just after new login configure
remaining three.

I fail to see the need for this. Storing such status in the backend
either needs an extension to every service or a separate 'workflow
status' service.

Yes, separate workflow service, but I find it useful, because if you set
only part of settings and want continue another day, it is possible. And
it also support business case for companies where each employer
configure another part and have another permissions. If we store
completed settings in session it is not possible to have rest-service
where one technician should set time, timezone and second one root
password and error mail.

I hope I have to the end of week working prototype. And then we could
discuss about improvements. (I think that practical example shows more
problems then theoretical discussion).

Agreed. But even spending half a day on a prototype shouldn't be done
without planning and discussing the concept.

Ruby and also Rails is great that you can prototype really fast, try
find problems and change your code quite fast. This is different from
languages like C or java where each change is a lot of work and also
more errorneous. So you can try how looks your ideas quick and try how
it is useful.

--
Josef Reidinger
YaST team