[yast-devel] Re: about the services module direction
  • From: Jiří Suchomel <jsuchome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:58:36 +0200
On Monday 17 of August 2009 16:20:22 Klaus Kaempf wrote:
* Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx> [Aug 17. 2009 11:20]:

I think the design is escaping simplicity, I would propose this approach:

- Having _one_ and only one services plugin in the service side.

The implementation of this REST API would access the init.d scripts, and
additionally would do the following things:
- also read another directory with yml files where and recognize custom
services there. The vendor provides the variables in those yml, and the
services plugin knows how to handle those.

Yes, thats the most desirable approach.

Well, so could I return to the rest-API service plugin that was using YaPI,
and was able to call /etc/init.d scripts as well as user customized ones?

That means, the original approach of services, written by schubi and mvidner
would be lost with some of its features that my simpler approach did not
have.

I summarize again my original approach:

YaPI layer: provides call to show and manipulate given services, be it
from /etc/init.d or custom service defined in /etc/YaST2/webyast_services.yml

rest-service: basically encapsulating YaPI calls

web-client: showing the services provided by rest API (= those found in
webyast_services.yml)

Now there could be 2 different UI parts, using the same rest service, one
for /etc/init.d/ services (substituting current 'services' plugin), and the
other for one (or any number) user defined service.

Jiri

--
Jiri Suchomel

Lihovarská 1060/12 tel: +420 284 028 960