Re: [yast-devel] Webyast base system model proposal
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:35:23 +0200
On 08/17/2009 02:25 PM, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
* Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> [Aug 17. 2009 13:19]:

I do not think that this requires a REST service. Calling configuration
modules in a specific order is pure client side (web ui) functionality
imho.

I think client side is not sufficient as you must somewhere store what
is already configured and what missing.

The respective backend service should be able to report its status. I
fail to see the need for keeping this information in a separate
database (resp. service).

Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious, though ...

Yes it should be possible, but then all modules must provide unified way
how to report, that it is not configured and it is often not stored
anywhere. Like for timezone from installation some default timezone is
choose. So rest-service must store that timezone is not ever saved.
Second problem which I see is how to get last done step...It should end
with list of modules which must be check after each login, which should
cause performance problem.

[...]

I plan use "configuration needed" for wizard purpose, so when
configuration needed is set then via layout (I plan discuss it with our
external consultant) show next/back(?) buttons and after clicking on
next is stored that this part of configuration is done.

This looks more like a generic 'workflow' or 'wizard'. Thats something
for our UI guys ;-) (Robert L., Martin S.). Pleass have them involved.

OK, tomorrow I try get all possible solution and write them.

So this state say only that we want show navigation thrue basic
settings.

Ah, so you're storing the 'step' (index into basesystemsteps.conf) in
the session ?!

No, it is stored in separated file in base system backend.

This navigation then ensure information for backend that user configure
it. We use it because system is already set to some default and some
users just want confirm settings ( also it helps in complicated
modules).

Agreed.

It is same as in first boot when some pages is shown and after next is
shown next page.

I don't quite understand this.

I just want to say, that it act same as during first boot when user can
just confirm settings on page and after clicking on next he see next
settings which he can change or also just confirm.

What should be confusing is that next button doesn't save settings.
User must save it before continue to next page.

Agreed. "Next" should always be identical to "Ok" (in 'edit' dialogs) and
save changes.

I discuss possible solution tomorrow with rails consultant (we must
submit form and also redirect in one step).

Klaus
---

Josef Reidinger
YaST team
maintainer of perl-Bootloader, YaST2-Repair, webyast modules language
and time