Re: [yast-devel] how to config bootloader/grub to correctly write menu.lst modifications at kernel upgrades?
  • From: PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev+osyast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:20:44 -0700
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:00 AM, josef reidinger<jreidinger@xxxxxxx> wrote:
If I good understand question, then problem is that is used in this case
some partition-less technology, so grub should act on whole disc and
problem is that perl-bootloader doesn't support this case and don't
expect it.
So if I good understand it, could you provide some resource
about this technology?

re: pv-grub,

http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2008/08/28/xen-33-feature-pv-grub/

as per above, the capability has been officially added to xen source,

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-changelog/2008-09/msg00135.html

and is perfectly valid usage. commercial Xen hosting vendors
currently use it, e.g.,

http://www.linode.com/wiki/index.php/PV-GRUB

where, interestingly, they actually offer openSUSE as a pv-grub DomU
target. which requires (hd0) be used as the grub root.

i'm not certain this is a perl-bootloader issue, but rather an issue
of an unpatched grub in opensuse -- i.e., one that can't handle the
valid case of (hd0) without the can't-read-the-filesystem error above

Also as that it is not supported It should not be
reported as bug but as enhancement and new feature to
features.opensuse.org.

non-members can't submit a thing there. and membership-requests are
simply not being responded to -- or at least not in a timely fashion.