Re: [yast-devel] yast2-qt with Context Menus
  • From: Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:58:32 +0100
On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 03:22:03PM +0100, Katarína Machálková wrote:
No nazdar,

I guess this is an example that shows the new feature and the partitioner
will contain the "missing" buttons.

Hopefully :)

Arvin's comment on that issue:
2009-03-06 22:29:23
That is intended so. All possible buttons (”Add Partition”, “Add RAID”,
“Add Volume Group”, “Add Logical Volume”, “Add Crypt File”, “Add NFS
Share”, “Edit”, “Resize”, “Delete”, “Rescan Disks”, …) would take to
much space.

That's why I'm for defining how should it look like if the buttons can't
fit ;)

The "all available devices" screen of partitioner is very unfortunate
example,
where context menu is the only available means of accessing device type
specific functions, as all above mentioned function buttons really would not
fit the screen (in no resolution). In this screen, there will be only
function buttons for tasks that are common for all devices and independent of
the device type (e.g. Rescan Devices, Import mountpoints etc.).

Moreover, there is a request to make "all available devices" non-default
partitioner screen and pre-select hard disks screen instead, as partitioning
the disk is far the most common task in partitioner.

I don't like that request: People who use LVM would want the LVM
screen per default since the disk screen is mostly useless for
them.

In all other screens there will be of course device-specific function buttons
(or menu buttons) that will provide an alternative access to the funcionality
from the context menu.

Exactly, right now the context menus are just shortcuts to ease
editing. Anybody willing to compile YaST from SVN can have a look
at the first implementation.

After some time, we can consider dropping buttons under the table and rely on
context menu only, but there definitely must be some transition period so
that users can learn about context menus and get used to them.

Another possibility might be to add a menubar and drop all
"command" buttons. Users should be able to understand the concept
of a menubar even if it's rarely used in YaST. And a menubar
would be capable of housing 20 commands.

After all the interface of the expert partitioner is not that
complicated (doesn't offer so many commands) compared to user
programs like Firefox, Thunderbird, Acroread or Emacs but
apparently the way we design dialogs in YaST doesn't fulfil its
needs.

Regards,
Arvin