Re: [yast-devel] libyui throwing exceptions
  • From: Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:01:08 +0100
On Tuesday 08 January 2008 13:52, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
* Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx> [Jan 08. 2008 13:32]:
Well, it's no more crashing than the other way. Just read what I just
wrote about that "No dialog existing" popup. The application is dead in
either case.

Can we put a bit more information into the 'No dialog existing' popup ?

Like what? Like the bizarre technical stuff the exceptions dump to the log
file? What could a user do with this information?

The message is "we messed up, and you poor user can't do anything about it".
This is what all the methods we are employing are (more or less) already
telling.

Currently this message seems pretty useless to me.

Of course it is. It's in the same league as "internal error".

Have you EVER seen any piece of code that actually checks the return
values for any of those calls? Look through our code. There are no such
checks.

Then we should change this.

And even if there were, what would you expect to happen?

Logging it and exiting with a proper, defined return code.

We are doing exactly this. Low-level, where it belongs, not scattered all over
the place, thus introducing a gazillion lines of never-used error handling
code that is full of bugs.

To be picked up by the control center and reported in a user readable way.

How can there be a user readable way for this?
Do you expect the user to fix the YCP code?

Did you read any of the exception messages?
Did you find any that is not informative to a YCP application developer?
(which is the target audience for this, not the end user)

Did you never see that "xmessage" window that no user likes (because it's
always bad news)?

What's wrong with reporting bad news if there is no way around it ?

Where did I write that there is something wrong with it?

CU
--
Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx> Penguin by conviction.
YaST2 Development