Re: [yast-devel] yast2-ncurses has a status line :)
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:31:48 +0100
Am Mittwoch 19 Dezember 2007 schrieb Katarina Machalkova:
BTW: Is it possible to remove the help window on the left on user
behalf? Maybe pressing Fx toggles just the help window on the left,
regardless in which YaST module the user is.

This (mostly useless) help window always disturbed me in the ncurses
user interface since a Terminal has clearly less text space than a Qt
GUI. (No, I don't belong to the group of people that use fullscreen
terminals.)

I always wanted to remove the help window from ncurses UI since it only
uselessly takes too much space :) But 'We need help texts to be visible at
all times, poor user gets lost otherwise' people just shouted much louder
than those who'd like to have it visible only when user requests it.

See this (quite heated) discussion:
http://lists.opensuse.org/yast-devel/2007-06/msg00132.html
Hmm, I see only Rebecca saying, help is required (which is true, but she
argues against self explaining dialogs not about having help inline) and
Stefan, who I kind of convinced already in saying that I will argue with the
people coming wanting to have it back. Seeing the list archive though I see
more people wanting to get rid of it :)

Anyway, to make it official, anyone willing to file a Bugzilla enhancement,
or FaTE request for me ? ;-)
Well, Bernhard?

Greetings, Stephan