Re: [yast-devel] Handle GUI and text-mode differently - yast ncurses survey
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:56:39 +0200
Stanislav Visnovsky napsal(a):
Dňa Wednesday 24 October 2007 11:33:30 Katarina Machalkova ste napísal:
Ahoj!

However, does anyone have any example of some complex GUI feature users
often ask for and really want to have? I might have overlooked that, or I
might be just professionally deformed by maintaining text-mode UI, but I
haven't seen any particular example so far.
All I've seen were statements such as 'users want YaST to be more cool &
sexy' which is (at least for me) very vague description of the problem

One of the examples is a complex storage setup. Inspiration:
http://www.eclipse.org/aperi/

Good point, however, YaST Storage module (yast2 disk) doesn't need to be
sexy. What it really needs is:

* To be understandable be several kind of users
(provide partitioning wizards, etc.)
* To be useful
(simple way how to change simple things - less then by twenty
clicks)
* To have better logic workflows
(I know what I want to do, and the UI provides a menu that helps me
to get straightly to the dialog I need)

Anyway, having it sexy and cool might help :) but the definition what
'cool' and 'sexy' means is often very different for each user. Consider
the huge amount of magazines about those themes ;)

Bye
Lukas