Re: [radeonhd] 0x94B3:0x174B:0x1250: SAPPHIRE HD 4770 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Pierre Pronchery <khorben@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 14/03/2011 14:37, Matthias Hopf wrote:
On Mar 12, 11 14:33:24 -0800, cristian_anita@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

radeonhd isn't really developed further, unfortunately.

I find it rather sad for *BSD users, where KMS is not available
everywhere and it seems to be standard/required for the ati driver.

Am I wrong?

xf86-video-ati still supports UMS on cards up to and including E-350
fusion chips. Only newer Northern Islands cards are KMS only. That
said, UMS does not get much testing anymore since few Linux users
still use it. Unfortunately, we don't have the manpower to really
support both code paths. UMS has so many limitations it's hard to
support modern hardware with it without a lot of infrastructure
upgrades. The effort would be better spent on porting KMS to your
preferred platform. If xf86-video-ati UMS or xf86-video-radeonhd are
important to *BSD or another OS, it would be great if someone from
those communities would help support it.

Alex

--
khorben