[radeonhd] ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 and OpenSUSE 11.2 with radeonhd: experiencing difficulties
  • From: Max Di Cosimo <mdicosimo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 01:04:26 -0800 (PST)
Hello there,
after a good experience with 10.3 I've just installed OpenSuse 11.2 on my
laptop equipped with a Mobility Radeon X1600.
System came up with the "radeonhd" driver installed as default.

2D works quite well but I have some problems with 3D (that I didn't have on
10.3 + ATI proprietary driver) even if the driver should support my graphic
card.

- OpenGL based game "Nexuiz" hangs just before showing the first 3d scene, even
if I deactivate almost every graphic options;
- SuperTuxRacer hangs after some seconds of playing
- also glxgears hung once (not always)
- Blender, 3D modeling tool, also based on OpenGL, shows bad colors in the
interface (menus, toolbar);

I'm available for some test, with your help, to understand if there is some way
to improve situation.
For example I tried to understand how to change some OpenGL option (as I saw on
the mailing list in other cases), but the Xorg.conf file doesn't exist anymore
in 11.2.
Also the Sax2 module doesn't seem to give much help: the only changeable option
is "resolution".

Thank you for any suggestion

Max