Re: [radeonhd] 0x9515:0x174B:0x0028:Radeon HD 3850 AGP
  • From: Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 18:06:53 -0400
On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 5:51 PM, DrYak <blackkitty@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I'm following the advices contained in my Xorg log file and contacting
this e-mail.

I'm using an AGP version from Sapphire of the Radeon HD 3850.
(It uses the same kind of AGP-PCIe bridge as most other Radeon X & HD
cards).
I'm running the latest milestone of openSUSE 11.2, with RadeonHD driver
from the SuSE Factory repository on download.opensuse.org/repositories.

I've mainly encountered 2 major problems with this card :

1. Freeze & Lock
----------------
The driver doesn't like too much switching between the console screen
and the graphic mode.
On switching back to X, the display freezes on a black screen, and the
keyboard is unresponsive (no capslock light blinking, no CTRL-ALT-F1
switching back to console, etc.)
The rest of the system is still responsive, over SSH for exemple. But
can't be shut down (/sbin/halt) : the Xorg process is unkillable.
Usually, I have to finish the un-completed halt sequence with SysRq
magic keys.

2. No Acceleration
------------------
EXA acceleration fails epically. Absolutely nothing is visible on the
screen except the mouse pointer.
The lack of acceleration might be explained by the absence of a R600-DRI
driver. (EXA is said to require DRI drivers for recent cards).
But I would have expected the acceleration to fall back to some
compatible system (like shadowfb software acceleration) as not everyone
has an installed DRI driver on the system.

AGP is always problematic. Your best bet is to play with the AGP
options in your bios and see if any of them help. r6xx/r7xx EXA
requires the drm in the kernel, not the Mesa DRI drivers. You'll
need kernel 2.6.30 or newer for that. If it still doesn't work, you
might try the radeon driver and set the bustype to PCIE to use the
internal gart mechanism rather than AGP (radeonhd doesn't have this
option):
Option "BusType" "PCIE"
in the device section of your config.

Alex