Re: [radeonhd] [RFH] Add HDMI audio support
  • From: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 16:56:04 -0700
2009/7/28 Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@xxxxxxxxx>:
2009/7/28 Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx>:
2009/7/28 Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@xxxxxxxxx>:
2009/7/28 Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx>:
2009/7/26 Christian König <deathsimple@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi,

Am Freitag, den 24.07.2009, 13:12 -0400 schrieb Luis R. Rodriguez:
RFT - Request For Help/patch takeover

I've taken a stab at porting HDMI support from the radeonhd driver
onto the radeon driver. Mind you this is my first video patch, so
not sure if it was done properly. I kept telling myself I was going
to finish this during my night hours but my night hours are now reserved.
So if it is at least done some-what right was hoping someone could take
this
on themselves and complete it... The missing piece should be the
generic HDMI stuff which I thought was not required but in fact is.

as far as i have read the patch you are still missing some quite
essential stuff. The generic hdmi stuff is not only for the
encoder/transmitter setup, but also for audio clock recovery and feeding
the television with the right audio parameters (sampling rate, bit per
sampel etc.).

Yeah, that stuff is missing.

I always wondered when somebody starts to port this over to radeon. I
considered doing it myself, but as far as i know the radeon driver it's
relying complete on atombios to do the tmdsa and lvtma transmitter
setup, and at least for hdmi support that's bad.

Interesting..

I fought quite allot with radeonhd to get atombios+hdmi support running
at the same time, for RV630 i reverted to move setting a missing bit
with the TMDSA and LVTMA control register to the hdmi enabling function,
but i couldn't find a good solution for my RS780 (with DIG interface).

Maybe i am just not feeding the right values to atombios so it can set
the registers right, but since even fglrx revert to programming the
registers directly i assume that atombios is simply not capable of doing
this.

So radeonhd HDMI stuff really may only work for some cards?

Beside from that i don't have time to support another implementation of
this stuff, so i am sorry but at least i can't take it over.

No problem, I appreciate the feedback. If I ever really get the urge
to use my HDMI cable I guess I will finish this.

Problem is, if the way radeonhd is doing it is not the good way
(through atombios), do we have documentation to do it the right way?

We plan to look at the info for a possible documentation or code
release at some point, but we haven't had the time to compile and
review it yet.

So if I do have time to finish the port, is that worth it? Or is that
time not spent well at this point?

Depends how quickly you want support.  I'm not sure when or what we'll
be able to release yet.

OK thanks. My motivation was audio was not working, but now it is
somehow through my sound card on line 1, so I'm set for a while I
guess.

Luis