Re: [radeonhd] More powermanagement stuff to try out
  • From: Matthias Hopf <mhopf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 14:47:43 +0200
On Jun 09, 09 13:57:45 +0200, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
First of all, why do we use DynamicClockGating only for
(rhdPtr->ChipSet < RHD_R600)? Is this enabled by default on everything
newer than R600?

Apparently we just don't know what this is doing on R6xx and up. If you
want to experiment here, be my guest! I'd love to change this to
something more reasonable for R6xx as well, but we need more and
especially consistent tests including measuring used power for that.

How does DynamicClockGating work? Does GPU knows itself all (unused)
hardware blocks than he can stop clocking?

Good question. No idea.

What actually is EnableASIC_StaticPwrMgt? Is this something we need to
enable before using DynamicClockGating? If so, what other AtomBIOS
commands depend on EnableASIC_StaticPwrMgt?

Good question. Again, no idea.

This code is basically ported from radeon. Alex implemented it there, I
assume by asking bios guys what to do to reduce power consumption.

Could someone explain shortly other AtomBIOS commands like:
ASIC_StaticPwrMgtStatusChange, DynamicMemorySettings, MemoryTraining

Memory training is necessary for DDR5 memory only. And AFAIK it's done
automatically.