Re: [radeonhd] Support for new RV620 card?
  • From: "Rob Walsh" <outlawdrake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 09:08:31 -0500
On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2009/1/4 Rob Walsh <outlawdrake@xxxxxxxxx>:
I recently bought a (relatively inexpensive) ASUS ATI card, and it
appears to lack support in the radeonhd driver. (I have been able to
use the binary drivers from ATI, but poor 2D acceleration is driving
me nuts.)

I'm running Ubuntu 'intrepid' / 8.10, and trying the radeonhd driver
version 1.2.1-2build2 that they provide. While that version is
indicated to support RV620 / Radeon HD 3450, the PCI ID of this card
is not in the supported list
(/usr/share/xserver-xorg/pci/radeonhd.ids) -- the IDs immediately
sequentially before and after this one are there, and manually adding
the ID doesn't work (though that was a long shot).

Is there some known issue with this card, or is there something I can
do to enable a workaround? (I have searched google (generally), the
mailing list archives, and bugzilla to no avail.)

But what's wrong with that card? X doesn't start? Black screen? Screen
corruption?

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer about that. X does not start --
the final lines (just after loading radeonhd_drv.so) are:

----
(II) RADEONHD: version 1.2.1, built from dist of git branch master,
commit 761940fd

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
----

Update your radeonhd to at least 1.2.4 version, then try again. If
something fails with 1.2.4, come back, describe problem and attach
your /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

I will work on that, but it has been quite a while since I've tried to
compile X from source. And it concerns me that version 1.2.4 is still
(after a fairly long time) in Debian "experimental" rather than
"unstable" or "testing". This is my primary workstation and I can't
really afford to be doing driver debugging on it. I had hoped that
there was something simple to make this card work with 1.2.1. (I will
try a dual-boot.)

Thanks,
Rob.