Re: [radeonhd] RandR connector names [Poll/Discussion]
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:30:11 +0200
Hans Ulrich Niedermann writes:
Matthias Hopf wrote:
RandR isn't exactly verbose in specifying, what an output actually is.
So far, two interpretations have been used, with one limitation or
another.

What other connector types apart from VGA and DVI are there? I have seen
LVDS/PANEL here, but I can't tell about HDMI, TV-Out, DisplayPort, all
of which have been absent from this discussion so far.

Most of them are uncritical as the connectors only support a single
output. TV-Out does support mulitple output formats Composite/S-Video
and sometimes also Component. The difference here is that these are
just different signal formats of the same output. Presently we don't
support these, and from the physical device point of view it's a single
output. On hot plug we will run into similar issues as I described before.

Can we make a comprehensivelist of connector and signal types before
trying to come to a conclusion based on the very limited subset of VGA
and DVI ports?

radeon names:
VGA-0 (on my notebook)
DVI-0
LVDS

radeonhd names:
VGA_1 (on my notebook)
DVI-D_1
PANEL

DVI-I_1/analog (example)
DVI-I_1/digital

This usage of "-" and "_" looks ugly, from a non-programmer POV.

We could do [n] instead.

Counting from zero instead of one... unnatural for non-programmers.

Why do these names need numbers in them when there is only one of each sort?

There can be more than one. On DCE3.2 there could be 6 (theoretically).

"LVDS" might be technically correct, but is probably known to much less
people than VGA and DVI. "PANEL" is probably better-known, but there
could be and even better word?

AtomBIOS itself uses LCD for this.