Re: [radeonhd] RandR connector names [Poll/Discussion]
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:47:25 +0200
Rafa? Mi?ecki writes:
2008/10/15 Matthias Hopf <mhopf@xxxxxxx>:
So please post your conclusion, especially if you can back it up with
experience or configurations that would work well in one of the
scenarios, but not in the other.

I don't really see point of using "analog" and "digital" suffixes. OK, there
is:
you can (theoretically) drive both the analog and digital lines on a
DVI port, even with different signals
but I belive this is strictly theoretical situation only. I've never
seen such a solution in practice, did anyone? If this may be needed in
future for development, maybe make this splitting as an option?

Moreover I also don't see point of using -I and -D suffixes for DVI.
OK, I know there is some difference, but really... don't think end
user cares about it. If someone needs to know what kind of output in
on GPU - instruction is for that. Plus maybe we can also put info to
Xorg.0.log.

-I and -D is irrelevant for the user (in most cases at least).
For the user it would even be more useful to know if it is a single
or dual link DVI port - as this determines the maximum resolution
possible. Adding this would clutter up things even more :(

ATM the supplied information is mostly useful when supporting people
or for debugging.

Last confusing thing in my opinion is using DVI-D for HDMI output.
Maybe it has the same pins as DVI, maybe every driver calls it DVI...
but it's just confusing. In every GPU/notebook documentation with HDMI
otuput you will see "HDMI" not "DVI". So that makes little mess. I
think it would be nice to create HDMI_n names.

This is a valid point indeed. We can do better here. That we haven't
is mainly due to my laziness :(