Re: [radeonhd] help needed with crosscompiling
  • From: Warpme <warpme@xxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:58:00 +0200
Hans,

I was trying add:

$ MYROOT=/home/piotro/Desktop/minimyth-dev/images/build/usr
$ export PATH=$MYROOT/bin:$PATH

Error is still exactly the same.

Next I try:

$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$MYROOT/lib/pkgconfig:$MYROOT/share/pkgconfig

Unfortunately still nogo..

br

Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
Warpme wrote:

Can anybody be so kind and help me resolving issue with crosscompiling of radeonhd ?
Environment is:
-Host is ubuntu 8.04 on x86
-target is also x86 (minimyth distro)
-radeonhd is git head

Launching make build gives me following error (see below).
I suspect that for crosscompiling I have to switch-off for files existence. If so - how can I do that ?

I guess our configure script fails here.

checking for i586-minimyth-linux-gnu-pkg-config... no
checking for pkg-config... //home/piotro/Desktop/minimyth-dev/images/build/usr/bin/pkg-config
configure: WARNING: In the future, Autoconf will not detect cross-tools
whose name does not start with the host triplet. If you think this
configuration is useful to you, please write to autoconf@xxxxxxxx
[...]
checking for /usr/include/xorg/damage.h... configure: error: cannot check for file existence when cross compiling
make: *** [configure-work/main.d/xf86-video-radeonhd-githead_23082008/configure] Error 1

Our configure.ac (and some xorg-macros m4 macros) are calling "pkg-config" instead of $PKG_CONFIG - which is not a good idea, as we can see here.

I guess we are executing the system's normal pkg-config, which then has a PKG_CONFIG_PATH without your cross-system *.pc files, which is wrong.

As a workaround, I'd try the following:

$ MYROOT=/home/piotro/Desktop/minimyth-dev/images/build/usr
$ export PATH=$MYROOT/bin:$PATH
$ 'autogen.sh/configure' --host=... --prefix=... etc.

If this does not set sdkdir in configure to the proper dir, try setting

$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$MYROOT/lib/pkgconfig:$MYROOT/share/pkgconfig

as well before running 'autogen.sh/configure'.

We can easily change our calls to pkg-config to use $PKG_CONFIG, but even if the xserver's xorg-server.m4 follows suit, the issue will remain with all older xserver versions. Therefore I hope above PATH based workaround helps.

begin:vcard
fn:Warpme
n:;Warpme
email;internet:warpme@xxxxx