Re: [radeonhd] Asus M2A-VM VGA works, DVI doesn't
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:09:14 +0100
Matthias Hopf writes:
On Dec 19, 07 01:14:56 -0500, Toan wrote:
On Dec 18, 2007 4:24 PM, Luc Verhaegen <libv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please check with recent git, it should be fixed there.

Thank you. It indeed works now but with huge caveat. My monitor is
1680x1050 resolution. Only the VGA output displays this resolution.
The DVI output is only 1280x800. Here is the output of "xrandr -q"

WTF?

(II) RADEONHD(0): Connector[0] {RHD_CONNECTOR_VGA, "VGA CRT1", RHD_DDC_0,
RHD_HPD_NONE, { RHD_OUTPUT_DACA,
+RHD_OUTPUT_NONE } }
(II) RADEONHD(0): Connector[1] {RHD_CONNECTOR_TV, "SVIDEO TV1", DDC_NONE,
RHD_HPD_NONE, { RHD_OUTPUT_DACA,
+RHD_OUTPUT_NONE } }
(II) RADEONHD(0): Connector[2] {RHD_CONNECTOR_DVI, "HDMI Type A DFP2",
RHD_DDC_2, RHD_HPD_NONE, { RHD_OUTPUT_LVTMA,
+RHD_OUTPUT_NONE } }
(II) RADEONHD(0): Connector[3] {RHD_CONNECTOR_DVI, "HDMI Type A DFP3",
RHD_DDC_1, RHD_HPD_NONE, { RHD_OUTPUT_LVTMA,
+RHD_OUTPUT_NONE } }

Both DVI-D connectors use LVTMA (TMDS B) - so you will never be able to
use both DVI connectors independently (only in clone mode). How broken
is this card?!? Maybe you should check whether you get some image on
both DVI outputs. If you're lucky, you don't, and it's just the
connector table that is broken. But I doubt from your description.

Still, they have different DDC lines, so the monitor should be detected
correctly. However, DDC on DVI-D_1 is not detected at all. This is
something Egbert should look into, but he's on vacation until the End of
the year :-P

???

I need to recheck the connector tables on R6xx. The ObjectTable is slightly
more difficult to parse and I've got strange looking BIOS today.
Maybe I should have the M2A-VM BIOS, too....

In the end, you should probably just forget that you have the DVI-D_1
connector, because it is strictly tied to DVI-D_2, with the disadvantage
that DDC doesn't work...

(Note that my desktop has HDMI as well but it's disable in the BIOS,
the screen is blank if I try to connect my monitor with HDMI output.
My monitor is connected to my desktop with both VGA cable and DVI
cable so that I can switch between them).

You shouldn't connect a monitor with two cables - the computer will
detect them as different monitors, and act accordingly. And you only
have 2 CRTCs, so having more than 2 monitors attached is just asking for
trouble. Though due to some misconceptions in the RandR model the driver
will not even warn about that...

Ooops.