[radeonhd] Can radeonhd drive two displays with RandR disabled?
  • From: PinkFreud <pf-radeonhd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:56:50 -0500
I've been searching for an answer to the above question.
Unfortunately, all I've managed to get so far is 'yes, check the wiki
and xorg.conf(5)'. The wiki claims to provide an answer for a static
configuration for dual-head operation, but unfortunately, it uses
RandR-specific options to acheive this. xorg.conf does indeed tell me
about dual-headed setup (which I have working on another machine with a
Matrox G450 already), but as far as I can tell, the radeonhd driver
does *not* conform to this (in particular, it doesn't appear to like
the multiple Device sections referring to the same physical hardware).

My reasons for disabling RandR (via Option "NoRandr" "yes") are varied,
but they boil down to the following:

* RandR has come to the decision that I want 1280x768. It decides
this whether my primary display (an old Dell 1700FP 17" lcd, not
widescreen) is conneced via a kvm switch (no ddc support) or connected
directly (RandR finds the supported modes for the display, adds it's
own to the list, and continues to insist that 1280x768 is the *best*
resolution for this display!).
* I do not yet have an X server with the PreferredMode bug fixed, and
do not wish to shoehorn a call to the xrandr util somewhere in my X
startup scripts just to get a sane video mode.
* My second head is an IBM P202 20" CRT. A shared desktop spanning a
17" lcd and 20" crt just does not look good, and RandR isn't much for
doing seperate desktops.

I'm currently using a Radeon 2400 XT with a dual VGA output cable
connected. I have yet to figure out how to convince radeonhd to
activate the second output with RandR disabled, though. Is it
possible? If so, *how*?

Thanks.

--

Mike Edwards | If this email address disappears,
Unsolicited advertisments to | assume it was spammed to death. To

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education.
The human mind is our fundamental resource."
-- John F. Kennedy