Re: [radeonhd] RadeonHD - X1400 Mobility
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:22:14 +0100
Matthias Hopf writes:
On Nov 04, 07 11:34:25 -0600, Matthew Catney wrote:
Not quite sure this is the place I should be emailing this, but from
what I understand you are the ones developing the driver. I recently
installed the RadeonHD driver and and love it so far, but my problems
is as follows; When I boot up my laptop on battery, X freezes before
it completes loading. It will boot up and load GDM just fine but
after I log in it will freeze, and I won't be able to switch to a
console. Also, when I boot with AC power and then remove the power,
the back light turns off completely. I have found out that this is
because it seems to be trying to turn the back light to a brightness
level that that is unsupported. If I turn up or down the brightness
it will turn back on.

This sounds strange, and is probably difficult to debug. Maybe Luc has
an idea here.

Matthew, have you tried the latest version of the driver?
There are some interdependecies between BIOS and driver that
could lead to these problems, however we tried to disable these.

Matthew said, that the system will freeze after you logged in with
GDM. This happens when he boots with AC power attached I assume.

Again this is strange because presently the driver doesn't use any
acceleration, so after the chip is running there is pure software
framebuffer access.

It would be interesting to see if the lockup also occurs when the
system is sitting there witout logging in.