Re: TODO
  • From: Peter Osterlund <petero2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:25:00 +0000 (UTC)
On 21 Jun 2003, Paulo J. S. Silva wrote:

> 2) I'll probably try 2.5 sometime soon. It is supposed to be much more
> responsive than 2.4, right? Usually, while I am writing to the cd-rw my
> machine becomes useless with 2.4. Hope this is fixed in 2.5.

It seemed much more responsive when I did some tests with 2.5.70 some time
ago. I started a big copy to a slow (2x) CDRW on a 200MHz PPro with 96Mb
RAM. Then I ran some tests. Starting big programs like emacs and netscape
was quite ok, running a configure script was really slow but didn't stall
completely. Running a compile job was noticably slower than usual, but
didn't suffer as much as the configure script.

I think that the more memory allocations a job requires, the more it will
suffer in this scenario, because the copy operation will try to steal all
free memory, which probably means that all memory allocations will have to
wait for at least some data to be flushed to disk before they succeed.

(With reservation that I don't really understand the internals of the
linux virtual memory subsystem.)

--
Peter Osterlund - petero2@xxxxxxxxx
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340