Re: Direct CDRW writing

Did you install the packet-cd kernel module? pktcdvd.o? After installing
packet-cd kernel module, the proper thing to do is:
1. cdrwtool -d /dev/scd0 (whatever the device is for your cdrw) -q
(quick mode. It does a blank, format, and puts udf fs on the disk)

2. run pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd0 /dev/scd0 (whatever the device is for your

3. Then you can mount the /dev/pktcdvd0 just like it were the cdrw
device. mount -t udf /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrw

4. read/write to it freely like a hd or fd.

Note: after running cdrwtool it will tell you how many blocks are
estimated that it will write. Usually, for 700MB media, this will amount
to the equivalent of 576MB. I've noticed though that it differs between
drives. I can write up to 269952 blocks successfully. This is around

I hope this was helpful. I don't know it all, so if someone would
correct me where I am wrong. I'd appreciate it.