UDF DVD+RW
  • From: guStaVo ZaeRa <gzaera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:57:00 +0000 (UTC)
I'm stating a new thread, because there seems to be some confusion here...

I have been trying to use the HP DVD+RW 100i to make a UDFS in Linux for random disk access. I was able to write to the disk last week, but now i've set up a new linux box with the same drive, and i can't write to it at all.

right now, i've downloaded the 2.4.18 kernel source, and applied the 2.4.19-rc2 patch to it. I continue by applying the patch that Peter posted on the 21st, and then recompile the kernel starting with 'make oldconfig' with the .config file i have configured for my older kernel source.

I get a couple of prompts as the config file is parsed:

CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD=m
CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_BUFFERS=256
CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD_WCACHE=y
[...]
CONFIG_UDF_FS=m
CONFIG_UDF_RW=y

I set all other prompts to 'No'.

then, i make the new kernel, install it, and reboot.

--

now, booted up with the new kernel, i assure that i am running ide-cd over ide-scsi by typing 'lsmod' :

Module Size Used by Not tainted
sg 25404 0 (autoclean)
serial 43460 0 (autoclean)
sr_mod 11984 0 (autoclean)
ide-scsi 7472 0
ide-cd 27620 0
cdrom 28192 0 (autoclean) [sr_mod ide-cd]
scsi_mod 79544 3 (autoclean) [sg sr_mod ide-scsi]
udf 82944 0 (autoclean)
rtc 6044 0 (autoclean)

this seems to be ok, so i continue by checking the /dev/cdrom device:

[root@ksi4 /root]# l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jul 19 23:19 /dev/cdrom -> scd0

this is ok too, so i continue to do a 'cdrecord -scanbus':

Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'HP ' 'DVD Writer 100j ' '1.37' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *

ok. Now, i know that the UDF module is loaded, i try to create the UDF file system on the DVD by typing 'mkudffs --media-type=cdrw /dev/cdrom':

[root@ksi4 /root]# mkudffs --media-type=cdrw /dev/cdrom
trying to change type of multiple extents

hmmm... this didn't work. Let's try without specifying the media type:

[root@ksi4 /root]# mkudffs /dev/cdrom
trying to change type of multiple extents

nope. didn't work either. then, i try to blank the cd out by executing the dd command:
[root@ksi4 /root]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=2295104
dd: /dev/cdrom: Read-only file system

hmm... seems like my UDF module is not supporting writing... why not? i made sure that it was set in the /usr/src/linux/.config file like i stated above.

any suggestions?

cheers,
gustavo

--