Re: New pktcdvd version available
  • From: Cory Bell <cory.bell@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 08:43:36 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 12:45, Peter Osterlund wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have uploaded a new version of the packet writing driver here:
>
> http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/patches/packet/packet-2.4.19-pre2.patch.bz2
>
> This patch was generated from kernel 2.4.19-pre2, but should work also
> with kernel 2.4.18. (and probably 2.4.17 too.)

Works great for me (HP N5425 Laptop, UJDA710 ATAPI CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Linux
2.4.18)! First time, too. Previous patches resulted in instant "I/O
error" upon any attempt to write to the CDRW. Thanks!!

> The interesting change in this version is that I have changed the way
> mixing of read and write requests is handled. The driver now inserts a
> "synchronize cache" command before the first read command following a
> write command. This has three advantages:
>
> 1. The hack in scsi_lib.c to retry failed read commands caused by the
> device not being ready is no longer needed.

I have a desktop w/a Yamaha CRW-6416SXZ (Advansys PCI SCSI adapter).
Should I no longer see the "Device 0b:01 not ready: cmd=0, sector=9868,
nr_sectors=4"? I haven't had a chance to test my desktop, just the
laptop.

> 3. IDE drives that previously only worked with ide-scsi emulation may now
> work also in native ide mode.

Mine works w/ide-scsi and ide native. Before, neither worked. I use
ide-scsi for compatibility w/cdrecord and cdrdao.

> I would like to receive feedback on this version, since I don't have the
> hardware necessary to provoke the problems mentioned in 2 and 3.

Now I have only one problem - when I have a UDF filesystem mounted RW
though /dev/pktcdrw, the drive will not spin down. "mount -t udf -o ro
/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrw" still spins down, but "mount -t udf -o rw,noatime
/dev/pktcdrw /mnt/cdrw" will not. Shortly after "umount /mnt/cdrw", the
drive will spin down. Any ideas?

-Cory