Re: New cdrwtool (trying to format too many blocks)
  • From: Petr Nejedly <P.Nejedly@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 20:31:18 +0000 (UTC)
Peter Osterlund wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Sergiy Kudryk wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Can anybody help ?
> >
> > I can't successfully write to CDRW disc a large file (> 50 MB) - too
> > many i/o errors.
> >
> > How i can decrease writing speed of pktcdvd layer ?
>
> You have to edit the source code. In the pkt_open_write function, there is
> a call to pkt_adjust_speed. Change the "16" to the speed you want to use.
>
> > I have CDRW drive with 4X write speed and when i start to copy big file
> > (500 Mbytes) to /mnt/cdrw using mc system shows writing speed about 9
> > MB/s (should be no more then 600 KB/s).
>
> Maybe if the writes start to fail, they can fail with a speed faster than
> 600Kb/s.

No, the truth is that the data is "copied" to buffer cache and that
does the writing in the background. I consider this very unfortunate solution
as I have a e.g. network connection faster than the HDD and when copying
big files from the network to the disk, it eats all my memory
for caches (Having 256MB and every app starts to swap heavily).