Re: [opensuse] My Opensuse 12.1 are slow
On 18/05/12 17:32, George Olson wrote:
On 05/18/2012 02:15 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-05-17 17:24, Gunnar wrote:
Why are my Win XP so much quicker then my 12.1. The CPU goes to 100%
when I starts some thing. I have the same problem with KDE and
Icewm. In Win XP,there are no delay, I start a program and it start.
In Opensuse, it take nearly 1 min. with no response, everything seems
to have died. Any clues?? Gunnar

Have a look with top to see if some process is using the cpu too much,
and to check how much free ram you have (free + buffers + cache).

That brings up a question I have been meaning to ask for some time. I have the system load view widget in my system tray, which if I click on will bring up the system activity gui and gives good information on what processes are running and how much memory, cpu they use, etc.

However, sometimes when my system slows down, I can only access information if I ctrl-alt-f1 to a terminal and use the command line. Is there a good command line command that will give cpu usage information and the process id for whatever is using the cpu?

I use ps ax to look at my processes, but I haven't been able to figure out how to show much cpu each process may be using on the command line.

Same thing for memory. I use free for showing the amount of free memory, but what command gives the process id and memory that it is using at the same time?

Knowing how to do these from the command line would I think help anyone to troubleshoot slowness problems.

Doesn't Kickoff>Applications>System>Monitor>System Monitor work for you?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE 4.8.3 and kernel 3.3.6 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor