Re: [opensuse] mounting a mac os drive in opensuse
On 05/06/12 08:13, George Olson pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
I am trying to mount a mac os drive (from my son's broken mac) into
linux to get the data off of it. I actually successfully did this with
the same drive about 6 months ago when I was using 11.4.

I installed hfsutils, used fdisk to check which device the drive is when
I plugged it in, and it is /dev/sda1. So I made the directory
/mnt/macdrive and then as root typed the following with the following
result:

linux-aw90:/ # mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda1 /mnt/macdrive
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
dmesg | tail or so

so I checked dmesg | tail and I get this for the last couple of lines:

[ 874.947485] hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
[ 899.247767] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth0 OUT=
MAC=48:5b:39:f3:76:92:c0:3f:0e:7e:fa:f9:08:00 SRC=192.168.0.1
DST=192.168.0.151 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=398 DF PROTO=UDP
SPT=1025 DPT=137 LEN=58

I don't follow that last line except that I see a mac address, my
default gateway, and my ip address. Don't understand the other things.

So I was thinking that maybe it is hfs and not hfs+, so I tried to mount
it as hfs instead:

linux-aw90:/ # mount -t hfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/macdrive
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
dmesg | tail or so

same result. Any ideas?

Try mounting without specifying the filesystem type. Linux is usually smart enough to figure it were as we mere mortals sometimes get it wrong.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998