Re: [opensuse] Still wanting to upgrade to 12.1 ..............(Seems solved)
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 04:29:32 -0500
Duaine Hechler <dahechler@xxxxxxx> wrote:

It's very simple - I, permanently, don't want to see - everything -
that small. I like 1024 x 768.

Hi Duane,

Excuse me for intruding if you already know this stuff, but I'm
providing it in case you don't so you can make a fully informed
decision.

The whole point of adjusting DPI while leaving the display at
native resolution is to make "everything" exactly the size that you
want it, be that larger (for people like me who hate squinting while
wearing reading glasses) *or* smaller (as I used to configure my old,
lower resolution displays to get as much working 'real estate' as
possible ... before I needed reading glasses.)

#1) 1,280 x 1,024 is a 5:4 aspect ratio, meaning there are five
physical pixels across for every four vertical pixels:

. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .

#2) 1,024 x 768 is a 4:3 aspect ratio, meaning there are four
physical pixels across for every three vertical pixels:

. . . .
. . . .
. . . .

#3) 1,280 x 1,024 is 'more square' to the eye than 1,024 x 768

#4) Forcing your 1,280 x 1,024 display to emulate 1,024 x 768
pixels can only be accomplished in two ways:

a. the emulated 4:3 display field is 'stretched to fit' the native 5:4
resolution and this distorts the output. It causes circles to appear
as ellipses and squares to appear as rectangles.

b. activating only the center 1,024 x 768 pixels avoids the
distortions but it leaves a band (or 'fat border') of unused pixels at
the perimeter of the display, thereby *reducing* available workspace.

#5) If you run the display at it's native resolution of 1,280 x
1,024, it is then possible to adjust the DPI (dots per inch) setting to
make literally "everything," page size, fonts and graphics included,
larger or smaller to suit your taste. This approach uses all the
available display 'real estate' while keeping circles round and
squares square.

At 120 DPI a bitmap of 360 x 360 pixels displays as a 3" square

At 96 DPI the same graphic displays as a 3.75" square (larger)

At 72 DPI it displays as a 5" square ... much larger

This is the "zoom" effect that Felix alluded to.

Of course, the system belongs to you and you're free to configure it
any way you want. I've just guessed from your response that you hadn't
quite 'grokked' what Felix was trying to explain.

hth & regards,

Carl