Re: [opensuse] build RAID1 partition from previously used ordinary partition without data loss?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:26:23 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

I've since replaced the 250G with a 500G, succeeded in replacing the
individual RAID elements on md0-md6, and want to create a clone of the
152G partition on the 320G disk on the 500G disk, then create md7 from
those two partitions.

I tried initially creating md7 using only the original 152G partition
to ensure against data loss, then add the new 152G partition to the
existing single partition md7.

Sounds good.

These mdX partitions are all type 0xFD in the partition tables.
But 'mdadm -cv/dev/md7 --level=1 /dev/sdb14' produces an error
message "mdadm: -c does not set the mode, and so
cannot be the first option". So, I don't know what to do. If there's
anything in the mdadm man page on converting existing partitions to
RAID1 elements, I'm missing it.

Shouldn't your command be:

mdadm --create /dev/md7 --level=1 -n1 /dev/sdb14

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.9°C)