Re: [opensuse] Re: epub
On 04/11/2012 06:23 AM, James Knott wrote:
Richard wrote:
If you have a Kindle or Nook, there's a way to automatically have your
downloads converted to DRM free versions you can read on your laptop
or any where else you want.

Calibre can convert DRM books? The manual says it can't. If it can,
it'd be great news for a friend's wife. She has a Kindle, IIRC, and she
can't read library epub e-books on it.
--

The Calibre manual is correct, the author does not provide any info on how to defeat DRM but... others have done so. It has been a while since I found the key, but googling on nook drm defeat got me a passle of sites and info. "I heart cabbages" is one starting place. It will eventually lead you to a site that has a file labeled tools_v4.8.zip. It has all the tools/files you need to get the job done. Open it and you'll see folders for whatever you need.

You will need the same info you use to buy a nook book or kindle so the app can decrypt it. All you need to know is in that zip file's readme.

As far as Nook is concerned, you must have the file installed correctly BEFORE you download the book to calibre, then it automatically decrypts it for you. The plugin file will be a .zip file. Dont make the mistake of unzipping that file.

I wish I could point you directly to the tools file but dont remember that far back.

It's nice to be able to read the Nook books on my laptop. After the drm is removed you still can read the book in your Nook. Life can be simpler if you work at it.

If you need more info, contact me directly.
Richard