Re: [opensuse] Dumpkeys, euro vs en_US.UTF-8
Hello,

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012, Michael Fischer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 02, David Haller wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2012, Michael Fischer wrote:
Can anyone clue me in as to how to use dumpkeys (or potentially
a UTF-8 aware successor) on 12.1 with en_US.UTF-8?

xmodmap -pke

That's a good one. Thanks.

xev

Yep, used to that when confirming my ~/.Xmodmap

Fine :)

Here's a snippet from my ~/.Xmodmap:

keycode 26 = e E EuroSign eacute
! use both Win-keys as AltGr/Mode_switch/ISO_Level3_Switch:
keycode 115 = Mode_switch Mode_switch
keycode 116 = Mode_switch Mode_switch

Hmm. I've got the 'menu' key (between 'win' and right ctrl) mapped thusly:

keycode 135 = Multi_key
and then I use it for 'compose', e.g. (multi-key and ') _then_ e for é.

As I have most stuff mapped to 3rd and 4th level that I regularly
need, I use "Print" for Compose (no, that does not interfere with the
SysRq function of that key ;)

Not sure how to use this "Mode_switch" thing. I tried

! 35 is the letter 'e'
keycode 135 = Mode_switch Mode_switch
keycode 35 = e E EuroSign EuroSign

Well, Mode_switch (and/or ISO_Level3_Shift) functions like Shift does
between 1st and 2nd level. I.e. for the key labeled 'A':

1st level a ! first xmodmap symbol after the =
with Shift:
2nd level A ! second xmodmap symbol after the =
with Mode_switch:
3rd level ä ! thirds xmodmap symbol after the =
with Shift+Mode_switch:
4th level Ä ! fourth xmodmap symbol after the =

My xmodmap line for that:
keycode 38 = a A adiaeresis Adiaeresis

In this fashion, I have most stuff added to the basic US-Layout.
Get the full thing at http://dhaller.de/linux/Xmodmap (that's the one
I'm using right now under oS 12.1). An PDF depicting the layout is here:
http://dhaller.de/linux/Xmodmap.pdf (that's from 2008, I may have
changed the odd key here or there, but you'll probably want to change
that anyway). I did have to change the keycodes quite often in the
last 3 years (at least 3 times, IIRC, mostly those for the cursor-keys
and the ones of the Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDown block).

That pdf was produced with xkbprint + eps2pdf/pdftk.

Oh, and I've also moved the "switch from X to a tty" from Ctrl+Alt to
Win+Fn combinations, maybe not the best choice, but I don't really
need more than F1-F12, so a 3rd and 4th Level on those keys is
unneccessary for me. Have a look at the (commented) first section in
my Xmodmap.

Oh, and before testing my Xmodmap, save your current to a file:

$ xmodmap -pke > ~/.Xmodmap.default
$ xmodmap -pm

Add the modifier map manually to that default Xmodmap. Then save my
map as e.g. ~/.Xmodmap.dnh and start testing by 'xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap.dnh'.
That way, if worst comes to worst, after a restart of X all should be
back to normal.

Oh, and one is supposed to use "ISO_Level3_Shift" instead of
Mode_switch, but that didn't work for me. Whatever. ;)

$ xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

And tried pressing both 'menu' and 'e' (or Shift-e) together, and in
succession. All I got were 'e' and 'E'. What's the right way to do it?

Together. Just as you use the shift-key.

BTW, where would I find a list of such values (as xmodmap would accept)
like 'EuroSign' and 'eacute', etc.? `man xmodmap` didn't suggest anything
obvious to me.

Not easy to grasp. Have a look at e.g. /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/*.
And the tool 'xkeycaps' ;)

Wait, I've just discovered /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose,
which tells me to multi-key '=' with 'C' for EuroSign. All that prints
for me in an xterm is a blank space. € .. hmm. Obviously vi can do it.. €
Why the blank space? Actually ? has the same problem.

That sounds as if you terminal-font doesn't have the € sign. Or your
locale.

HTH,
-dnh

PS: I also have a similar keymap for the tty. Most importantly Escape
on Caps and the Alt/Mode_switch behaviour.

--
Have you ever read a cvs log and wanted to go back about a dozen commits
and scream at someone you've never met? -- Anthony de Boer