Re: [opensuse] PC freezes when transferring huge amount of data to USB
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:18:38 +0100
On Wednesday 14 Mar 2012 13:37:11 Lars Müller wrote:
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 01:11:46PM +0100, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
I am noticing a strange problem. I am running openSUSE 12.1 and when
I try to copy data on USB sticks the PC freezes and resumes only
when I unplug the USB device. I have tried with couple of devices
and the result is same.

Try to boot with this additional kernel argument:

transparent_hugepage=never

In the running system you'll see the change from the content of

/sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled

This is more or less a workaroud to a known issue.

If this helps in your case please do the following:

a) Check bugzilla if there is a bug report regarding this.

If ther eis one add the details of your system and setup (kernel flavour
in use and so on).

b) Report the filed or found bug ID back to this list.

I've not seen it on any of my workstations or latops.

Thanks,

Lars

If it's not the issue you mentioned, is it possible he is seeing blocking on
I/O that many people experience with badly aligned partitions on USB sticks?