Re: [opensuse] Getting system mail in 12.1
Hi Werner,

Firstly, I'm using systemd not sysVinit, if that makes a difference.
Rest of my reply inline below ...

On 06/03/12 10:03, Werner Flamme wrote:
Bob Williams [06.03.2012 10:09]:

In previous openSUSE installations I have checked the box for the first
user to get system mail, and it works.

On this new 12.1 installation with KDE 4.7.2, with a pre-existing /home,
I did the same, but no system mail comes to the user.

Even after doing

:~ # service postfix start
:~ # chkconfig postfix on

an incantation that I found on a forum, root now gets mail, but it is
not redirected to me.

Any suggestions

Bob

Hi Bob,

I think postfix is special on 12.1. On one of my 12.1 boxes, "insserv
postfix" was not sufficient. I had to issue "systemctl enable
postfix.service", though insserv told me the command was passed to
systemctl.

First, do a "grep root /etc/aliases". One of the resulting lines should
point to your account, like (in my case)

root: werner

Mine says root: bob

Maybe you have to fix this on your box.

Second, check if postfix uses this aliases file by "postconf
alias_maps". You should get a line like

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

Same here, so no changes required.

If you have a line like "alias_maps = hash:/etc/postix/aliases", you
refer to the wrong aliases file. Fix the config (/etc/postfix/main.cf)
to point to /etc/aliases.

Then do a "newaliases" as root, and a "rcpostfix reload" as root. After
that, new system mail should be delivered to your mailbox (old mail is
not sent again, of course).

I think I need to wait for new mail to root to be generated (there are
23 old messages in root's mailspool), as everything seems to set up OK
here now.

BTW: on openSUSE, you nomally do not use "service $something start", but
"rcsomething start", and "insserv something" instead of "chkconfig
something on" - though it should do exactly the same. I think you found
a RedHat incantation ;-)

Many thanks for the tip. Stored in my 'useful tips' file :)

HTH
Werner

Bob
--