[opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review it's Security Policies?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:54:35 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:10:24 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

If I go to a client site, I shouldn't be able to configure a printer so
I can print things at the client site?

Perhaps, but in my experience (banking, airlines, IT) the client site is
unlikely to allow foreign equipment on their network.

Depends on the client, but either way, the point stands that the decision
isn't *ours* to make for the user based on any of our particular
experience.

I've been doing contract work for the past several months (for software
companies writing documentation and doing QA work), and in two of three
contracts so far, I've been expected to bring my own equipment to their
offices and connect to their internal networks.

The second client required that I connect to their network either
directly (via an Ethernet or Enterprise WPA wireless network) or via a
VPN.

In the case of the third/current client, I connect to their network using
a VPN from home.

This is an issue where erring on the side of being more (and perhaps even
*too*) flexible is a good thing.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson