  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:10:24 +0100
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:01:32 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:

The discussiion is not about arbitrary people. It's about existing
users which must not have root access.

Users which must not have root access must not be allowed to change
the print queues.

Surely that's a decision for the owner of the machine (whether an
individual or a corporation) to make.

Say, for example, I work for a consulting organisation, and their IT
department decides the consultants shouldn't have root access to their
machines.

If I go to a client site, I shouldn't be able to configure a printer
so I can print things at the client site?

Perhaps, but in my experience (banking, airlines, IT) the client site is
unlikely to allow foreign equipment on their network.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.4°C)