Re: [opensuse] System now won't shutdown
On 02/14/2012 07:08 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
OK, who's been fooling around with something so that since some
updates done yesterday (my time, Australian Eastern Daylight Time) oS
12.1 [32-bit] will not shutdown the way it has been doing
for....for....for ever? :-(

Right-click on Desktop, select Leave>Shutdown the Computer - and the
system hangs :-( . No mouse, no keyboard.....just the green screen
with the gecko sitting there in the bottom-right corner staring at
me.....

Even using ALT-CTRL-F3, logging in as root and issuing the 'halt'
command results in.....nothing :-( . Black screen, the computer keeps
running...The only way to stop it is to physically power-off.

Surely I am not the only one suddenly suffering this hassle?

Not having any hassle here. Of course you've checked to see what
packages were updated so maybe you'd have some clue as to what it could
have been?

FWIW, the last time (long time ago) I had a system that wouldn't shut
down it was due to a start-up script that hadn't completed. I didn't
notice it since I wasn't using the offending package.