Re: [opensuse] vlc regressing?
On 13/02/12 01:25, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Basil Chupin<blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [02-12-12 01:11]:
A couple of days ago zypper installed a number of updates to the KDE 4.8
files I am using - including some to vlc.

Of course following this, vlc would not work and I therefore had to do what
everybody has been doing for a long time and that is install vlc from
videolan.org as a "one-click install".
Don't understand this maneuver. I haven't had to perform it. But I also
do not use videolan repo; I use packman except for the codecs. Also, istr
that there was problems mixing videolan/packman but do not know if that is
still true.

Following this, vlc worked again - *BUT*, unlike to what has been the case
for the past years, when I switch to another workspace/desktop vlc audio
goes MUTE while vlc continues running, in the background, on the workspace
where I always run it (Desktop #6). (This going mute is similar to what
happens in, say, the game Pysol - Tri Peaks which goes into PAUSE mode when
you switch to another desktop.)
I have not noticed this but recently have used clementine for streaming
rather than vlc and may have missed noticing.....

Ahh, further to what I wrote.

I just had a look at clementine in the Software Manager and I don't want something to play audio file or stream music off the internet. vlc or xine can do that with ease.

I use vlc, or xine, to watch television and/or record a TV program (using vlc, xine cannot do this) as my primary use of vlc.

BC

--
Aspire to inspire before you expire.