Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 12.1 KDE and sessions
  • From: "phanisvara das" <listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 20:47:42 +0530
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 20:24:52 +0530, Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

* Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> [02-09-12 09:47]:
I have a strange thing happening on openSUSE 12.1 and KDE (original 12.1
version). What I describe did not happen in earlier openSUSE releases.

I have an application (navit - a non-KDE map application installed from
OBS) that is started when the user logs in, via a script in
$HOME/.kde4/Autostart

The application starts fine the first time one logs in. It runs until
the user logs out, and I can see that it is indeed not running after the
logout.

Next login, there are two navit apps running. Third login, and there are
three. And so on. Each time, all the navits are killed on logout. They
are all started new on login.

I suspect the session management part of KDE is involved. We have not
turned sessions on/off. In fact, I do not see where to even control this
anymore. Is there still a concept of restarting applications on login?
If so, how can I disable this? If not, what might be going on here?

I have experienced it in other ver's, 10.2, 11.1, 11.4. I believe it is
related to closing the app before logging out as systemsetting has ability
to start a session with the apps open in the previous session. Not at a
local box so cannot advise the particular setting atm.

If you log out w/o closing the app, and have the app defined in autostart,
you end up with an instance from autostart and an instance from recalling
the last session. You must choose one way or the other. I put up with
the occasional duplicity desiring the benefits of both situations.....

systemsettings -> startup & shutdown -> session management -> on login

i always choose "start with an empty session," since otherwise funny things like you describe are bound to happen sooner or later. if there are app.s i start in almost every session, i rather write a script in ~/bin and call that when i need it.

--
phani.