Re: [opensuse] awesome window manager? Where?
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:44:09 -0500
On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 20:42 +0100, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
On 02/07/2012 08:39 PM, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
On 02/07/2012 08:05 PM, Kim Leyendecker wrote:
Now depends how bleeding edge you want to go. I am using awesome 3.4.11
from my repo home:toganm:wmanager 11.4 and 12.1 is available though I`m
running on 12.1 mind you that it will affect X11 packages as well along
with cairo. You will also find some other awesome related packages i.e
libraries and freedesktop module

If you decide to install please submit bugreports as I want to push the
package to factory at some stage

Togan

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/toganm:/wmanager/openSUSE_12.1

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/toganm:/wmanager/openSUSE_11.4

Hi,
I decided to install Awesome to see what it was all about. I first
installed it from yast using the factory repo:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/windowmanagers/openSUSE_Factory/

After installing Awesome, I tried to log in using Awesome as the window
manager from the KDM login screen. However, it didn't appear in the
list of window managers so I wasn't able to select it to log in using
Awesome.

I logged in again using KDE, then used yast to uninstall Awesome and
then install Awesome 2. When I tried to log in at the login screen
using Awesome 2, it also didn't appear as an available selection.

I uninstalled Awesome 2 using yast, then removed the factory repo in
yast.

Next, I used Togan's repository for 12.1 by adding it via yast. Then, I
used Software management to select Awesome, Awesome Desktop, and Awesome
bling-bling and install them via yast. After installing, I found
Awesome was a selection at the KDM login screen. I selected it, then
tried to log in. It tries to login and the screen goes black, but
everything crashes and I end up back at the KDM login screen. After
multiple tries to login, I had the same results and went back to KDE.

Any thoughts?