Re: [opensuse] Which kernel
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 19:26:21 -0500
On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Running 1`2.1 with KDE3

Good to hear. Going to do that myself soon.

Last night I did a zypper  'up' zypper downloaded TWO kernels.
kernel-default and kernel-desktop.  Now I;m having trouble with my nvidia
drivers. I guess it's confused.

So which is the correct one for 12.1 ?

The desktop kernel uses pae by default(to enable the NX/XD bit on
32bit x86 chips). It also has some optimizations for making
audio/video and other desktop tasks.

The default kernel was the older config that was the default for
openSUSE. It doesn't enable PAE.

I had some issues a couple of versions ago that made it seem better to
use the default kernel on my Pentium 3 based machines(Pentium 3's
don't have NX/XD & I only have 1 Pentium 3 machine with more than 4GB
RAM, so I have the desktop kernel on it to use all 6GB). I also have
2 Pentium M thinkpads that have 400Mhz front side bus. Those chips do
not have PAE support.(tho the 533fsb models do).

If you have a 64bit chip, I would recommend using the 64bit kernel.
There's really no reason to use the 32bit on a 64bit machine. And
most programs have been ported to 64bit(other than using windows
programs in wine). I've been using 64bit for 4 years now with no
issues.