Re: [opensuse] Re: new to systemd - rcnetwork status - equivalent needed
* Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx> [01-25-12 14:37]:
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
I have found that most of the rc..... utilities still function and a plus,
they provide the corresponding systemd function, ie:

But that's not what cagsm wanted. He wanted the whole status info
that rcnetwork status used to output.

I must have mis-understood his request.

Unfortunately, the informationa returned by "rcnetwork status" was not
complete or completely valid. Ie, from a servier I maintain still running
11.2 on sysinitv:

wahoo:~ > rcnetwork status
eth0 has unknown interface type. Please file a bug report.
lo has unknown interface type. Please file a bug report.
wlan0 has unknown interface type. Please file a bug report.
Checking optional network interfaces:
eth0 device: ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 (rev
11)
No configuration found for eth0
eth0

unused
wlan0 is not available
wlan0

dead
Checking mandatory network interfaces:
lo
No configuration found for lo
lo

dead
Checking service network . . . . . . . . . . .

dead

Service "netowrk" is up and active on eth0 which is configured in yast and
is the connection to wahoo server.

I guess a better and more informative answer to "network status" would
have been "ifconfig" which provides much of the above although in much
different format.

If you want, you can read a discussion thread at the
opensuse-factory list archive with the subject "Re: Human readable,
what is that? (was [12.1] massive data loss in /var/tmp/)", mid to
end December. It quickly went downhill into a flame war

I did read this thread and agree that *most* of it was posturing and
uninformative or completely off-topic, an unfortunate problem with lists
that have no moderator.

Thanks for your informative digest. I see much good and much lacking in
systemd, but it appears to be the *future*. I guess it is time to be
issuing multiple and plentiful bug reports :^).

tks,