Re: [opensuse] Mentor wanted for programming
On 1/20/2012 2:15 AM, Roger Luedecke wrote:
On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 00:02 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Per Jessen<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:OSC
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Tutorial
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_guidelines

The web interface - very nice, but afaik still limited when compared to
the command line interface: https://build.opensuse.org/

Agreed, if you try to work exclusively with the WebUI you will not get very far.

You really need to use osc. Be warned it has a thousand args that
make it do all sorts of things. So you won't master osc in an
afternoon.

fyi: I just added some more info to the Tutorial wiki page. If we all
did that as we learn things, it would become even more valuable. A
lot of times, only the experts edit things like that and they leave
out basic steps.

Greg
Yeah, I realized the Web interface was basically useless a while ago.
But, its not all that useful if I can't write spec files anyhow. The
wiki so often is missing stuff or its inaccurate or out of date that I
don't even look at it anymore unless the link is recommended to me. I
would happily fix things if there was an editor, but as it stands I
don't know the markup for the wiki and the ability to export to
MediaWiki in LibreOffice doesn't actually work.

I manage to do 90% of what I need with just the web interface.
I hardly ever use osc. It is more convenient once it's set up on a box, but it's not convenient getting it set up on a box if you work on many random boxes and don't have any one particular special box you use all the time. But the web ui is readily available from anywhere.

To modify a package I download the src rpm and browse the insides of it with midnight commander to effortlessly get the sources and spec files (or get them individually right from the web ui if it's a package with only a few files)

Edit the spec and other files on whatever machine I happen to be on. Rpmbuild.
upload the spec and any changed files via the web ui.

I also perform many minor edits like typical package version updates completely via the web. no downloading at all.

Really the main thing the webui misses that actually affects me is every time I want to SR, if I do it via the web ui, the recipient tells me to use osc vc. Usually I just update the changes file manually right in the webui. "manually" sounds stupid, but it's a lot less fuss than actually installing osc somewhere and doing a checkout and all that just to get a couple lines of changelog.

It's far from osc, but it's also far from useless.

--
bkw