Re: [opensuse] Gnome2 vs. Gnome3. Why not just port the old environment to the new toolkit?
  • From: Chuck Payne <terrorpup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 06:47:04 -0500
On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 5:57 AM, C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 12:04, K. Dennis Leyendecker
<leyendecker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 14.01.2012 11:04, Roger Luedecke wrote:
Sometimes I wonder, lol. KDE4 is a good design... since its modular, it
doesn't remove control and insane configurability from the user... not
to mention it WILL run without compositing.

+1 I really love KDE for that and for the fact that I can easily configure
it to my needs.

Same here.  the combination of virtual desktops, activities (they work
now), and the plasma thing, I can configure my desktop to do what i
want and need... AND.. since 12.1, it's rock solid stable.  I've got
no significant issues (only a couple minor bugs which have been
reported and he workarounds) with KDE.

Quite frankly, its time for a revolt! Gnome users need to flat out
boycott Gnome 3 and support MATE, or at least Cinnamon.

And what about those users, who are happy with GNOME 3? They're existing.
Really.

And therein lies the perception problem with any change.  The people
who don't like it, complain (as they should)... but... they are the
only ones commenting on the interface changes.... this presents a VERY
lopsided view of things when you look at the opinions of people
towards that change... whatever it is... KDE3 to KDE4 transition...
Gnome2 to Gnome3 or whatever.

As amazing as it may seem to those who are annoyed and frustrated with
Gnome 3 or KDE4... there are more than likely a LOT more users who
like it and are quietly using it.

Roger,

If you like Gnome 2, look for Cinnamon.

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2011/12/29/cinnamon-on-opensuse/