Re: [opensuse] DHCP lease requests (solved)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 20:07:26 +0100
Klaus Vink Slott wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 22:36:40 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Why not openSuSE? Not that this situation will be encountered
very often, but it does violate Wolfgang's Principle of Least
Astonishment.

I think it would be a clever thing to do - I don't know how often
it's going to be really useful, but still.

I agree. A real world example is my university. On the wired network,
when a unknown hw-address connects (and is not 802.1x capable) they
are placed on a registration vlan and given a temporary dhcp lease.
All www is redirected to a captive portal and the user is supposed to
give his credentials. If the user succeeds entering a username and a
password, we register his mac-address in our database and instructs
the switch to put the the port offline for a short while. This is seen
from the client as a disconnect/connect and the process restarts,
only this time the hw-addresss is known to the switch and the client
is now placed on a suitable vlan.

Good example, even if perhaps not very common. I've googled a bit, and
I think your setup will work if the NIC is set up to work
as/with "ifplugd". That may be what James Knott referred to.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.2°C)