Re: [opensuse] Re: System Slow Hard Drive Churning
Malcolm wrote:
My ASUS Motherboard in the desktop is like that, on the MB the SATA
ports are labeled 1-4 but plug in a couple of drives and linux
recognizes the controller numbers in reverse order.... so sda exists in
the BIOS as drive 4... was really confused as I use three drives all
the same....

I believe which drive is assigned /dev/sda depends on what order they
are detected by the kernel. In theory that can change over time - i.e.
be different on different boots or after a kernel upgrade or as the
disks age or perhaps the phase of the moon.

I have one machine where the disks are detected in different orders by
the particular versions of ubuntu and opensuse kernels on that machine,
for example. So use some other method to identify disks.