Re: [opensuse] System Showing Only 4GB RAM
  • From: Swapnil Bhartiya <swapnil.bhartiya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 00:38:39 +0100
On 01/04/2012 10:15 PM, Dmitry A. Ashkadov wrote:
04.01.2012 15:46, C пишет:
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:30, Anton Aylward<opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Swapnil Bhartiya said the following on 01/04/2012 06:06 AM:
Hi,

openSUSE is showing only 3.9GB of RAM whereas I have 8GB installed on
the system. Sometimes FF takes upto 800MG which slows the browser. I
have installed 64bit version which should show full RAM. It shows OK
under Ubuntu.

Sysinfo:/

OS: Linux 3.1.0-1.2-desktop x86_64
Try running the "-PAE" version of the kernel.
Read the kernel notes as to why you should do that if you have more than
4G of memory.
Ummmmm... why would he want to run a 32-bit PAE kernel? He's already
running a 64-bit kernel. You only need PAE on 32 bit kernels to get
beyond the 4GB memory addressing limitation... this limitation (at
4GB) doesn't exist on 64 bit kernels.

C.
I think 64bit kernel is required when you use applications which eats
more 2 Gb of memory. I think using of pae kernel saves memory, because
you run 32bit applications which require less memory than 64bit ones.

I remember that my system was detecting and using the all of 8GB ram. The last time I checked was when I wrote about Ubuntu. I found a screenshot from that time and it says 8GB (I remember I added more RAM so that I can test more distros from within VB.)

http://www.muktware.com/sites/default/files/images/manual/ubuntu1110/system-specs.jpeg

It's only recently I noticed only 4GB RAM. The only physical change that I made was added a CoolMaster FAN.

Swapnil