Re: [opensuse] Re: Chromium - What information is collected with 'spdy'? Why doubleclick.net??
On 01/04/2012 03:24 PM, David C. Rankin pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On 01/04/2012 01:30 PM, upscope wrote:
On Wednesday, January 04, 2012 10:56:39 AM David C. Rankin wrote:
On 01/04/2012 10:25 AM, jdd wrote:
Le 04/01/2012 16:46, David C. Rankin a écrit :
Guys,

What is the chromium browser doing with 'spdy' and what all

spdy or spyd?

just wondering :-)

jdd

SPDY (pronounced speedy) is an experimental networking protocol
developed primarily at Google for transporting web content.

It's new to me and if it's communicating with doubleclick.net, I'm
concerned with the personal information it's grabbing and sending to
google behind my back. More investigation is warranted...

Glad you posted this. Have you tried commenting out the ppdy lines?
I may try it later today. Thtas why I have not used google for a search
engine they spy. Only use chromium as a backup browser but I'd bet if
you look at FireFox their spying also.

No doubt,

Data mining has become a "Big Brother" big business. The nefarious
purposes to which it can be put are equally alarming. The bizarre
application of this type of mining became apparent just a day or two ago
when a report was issued concerning what type of sites those who visited
the respective political party sites had also visited. The report was
either an NBC or NPR piece.

The details are unimportant, the unnerving part of it was that these
folks that broker in data mining could accurately categorize political
persuasion by statistically looking at the browsing history (and equally
alarming 'subsequent browsing behavior') of people that visited various
sites.

This private information could then be further used by political
campaigns to either target favorable voters for support and contribution
or worse, target individuals who favor the opposition candidate with
negative ads to dissuade voting -- all further corrupting an already
perverted process.

This being done and facilitated by the developers of the competing
browsers.

I always knew there was a corrupt motive behind browser development, the
extent to which is yet unknown, but it would serve us all well to know
what type of information we are giving up, how it is being collected and
to whom it is being communicated...

There should be some mandatory type disclosure on software of what
information is collected and how it is used. Yes, I know the infamous
privacy statement, but we all know that is so full of dishonest legal
weasel words as to effectively mask how the data is being collected and
how it will ultimately be used. Damn lawyers...

If you do not want your pc's sending data to these sites block them in your router. If you can't talk to them you can't send them any data.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998