Re: [opensuse] System Slow Hard Drive Churning
  • From: Swapnil Bhartiya <swapnil.bhartiya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 22:45:50 +0100
On 01/03/2012 10:38 PM, John Andersen wrote:
On 1/3/2012 1:26 PM, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
Hi,

I am noting a new issues for the last two days. Some times my system
goes slow and all I hear is HDD noise as if its trying to access data.
The entire PC almost hangs and have to do a hard reboot.

PC configuration:
Intel i5
8GB RAM
3 HDDs.

The same issue is on Ubuntu as well. One change that I did make to my
system was replaced the stock CPU fan with CoolMaster 212 fan and
changed BIOS settings to silent as it was running at full speed.

Swapnil

If two different Distros agree that your hard disk is failing then it is
a good bet that your hard disk is failing.

It's a new HDD (I know it doesn't matter) but works fine under Windows. Ran the smart test two days ago and everything was clean.

Do what Cristian says and immediately take a backup if you have any data
on that device that you need.

Data is all backed up. In fact tested the HDD under Windows and it was clean. Use this HDD only for Linux OS.

This is exactly the behavior you would expect when a drive has developed
major problems from which
the OS can't recover.

Tail /var/log/messages and you will probably see a flood of disk problems.

I can make any sense out of the log message. Can you help? Uploaded here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-ALfi5glBeCOGFmYTE4M2ItMmQ1MS00YmI5LWI0M2YtZWVhZWUwM2IwYjI4