Re: [opensuse] Newbie has problems installing 12.1 with LAMP [solved -- thanyou all!]
On Friday 30 December 2011 17:51:43 hugh wrote:
Hi,
I am new to OpenSUSE, but have come from a different Linux Distro.
Twice now I have tried installing OpenSuse 12.1 on a clean partition
(formatted as part of install, containing both / and /home)
--snip--

~If I have failed in finding some direction on this problem, can you please
point me at the article and tell me how my search skills failed!

With Thanks,
HDixon

Thankyou all for the assistance and encouragement. My system is now working
well.

A run down on what I did:

Booting with systemV using the F5 key was really easy once I knew to do it,
and a lot of the warning messages etc disappeared. Thankyou Greg!

Prior to your responses I had been using "YaST > System > System services
(runlevel)". I had already found that the enable/disable buttons start and
stop the services, however for me it was not saving the service states for the
next time I booted. I found that the "OK" button makes the changes permanent,
while "CANCEL" makes them apply only to the current session.
**Being nervous and unsure I had been pressing CANCEL here** This was
causing many of my reboot problems!

In "YaST>network devices>network settings>global" I selected "User controlled
with Ntetwork Manager" and the networking was good again

Finally the sound was a problem. I installed the pulseaudio tools and found
that pulse audio had been set to mute. I turned pulse audio back on and it
was good.

Is there anywhere else in the GUI I could have done this? It seems a bit
major to me that I have to find and install a package to deal with something as
rudimentary as this...

I am hoping this can get back to the developers etc as a use case to consider
for future versions!

HDixon