Re: [opensuse] mix up on home directory installing 12.1
George Olson said the following on 12/19/2011 06:03 AM:

So when I boot up in 12.1 it goes to a completely new install and none
of my kde settings are there. But when I boot up in 11.4 everything
works like before.

So how do I get my system to point to /home/george as my home directory
and still have my login be "georgelenovo"?

I assume that if I can make that work, then all my KDE settings will be
the same but I will be running 12.1 instead. After I make that work, I
will delete the /home/georgelenovo directory.

The "obvious" answer is to make the entry in /etc/passwd on the 12.1
look like the one on the 11.4, that is edit the field that specifies the
home directory. I'd use VIM[1]. Read the man page for /etc/passwd for
details of which fields are which, but if you look at the two versions
of the /etc/passwd file it will be glaringly obvious.

Which makes me wonder how you changed the name on the 11.4 system in the
first place. I'd have done it with VIM[1], myself.

[1] The non scouring kind.
--
"You have heard me remark that the strangest and most unique things are
very often connected not with the larger but with the smaller crimes,